OUR COMMITMENT TO ETHICAL & SUSTAINABLE JEWELLERY
Trees For The Future
We've realised that these small actions alone won’t cut it. As we expand, we want to keep pace with our impact on the environment, and that’s why we’ve partnered with Trees for the Future.
We have committed to planting one tree for every order received, with the goal of offsetting our carbon emissions and combatting both climate change and deforestation. And it isn’t just about the environmental benefits: Trees for the Future work with tree farmers in places where jobs are scarce, training them and offering them a source of long-term employment. Trees for the Future will provide the seeds, materials and education, but the trees will remain the sole property and responsibility of the farmer who plants them.
Our favourite sustainable brands
We want to partner with ethical designer brands that share our sustainable values, and so we are always looking to welcome sustainable jewellery brands to our catalogue.
From the handmade creations of ChloBo to the Giving Back Program of Nordgreen, read on to learn about our favourite responsible brands and what it is that makes them special.
Nordgreen watches don’t just look stylish; each one offers the wearer the option to make a valuable donation. After receiving your watch, you can choose to do one of the following:
Give two months' of clean water to one person in The Central African Republic
Give one month of education to one child in India
Preserve 50 square metres of rainforest in Latin America
It’s a unique approach towards sustainability that every Nordgreen watch-wearer can get involved in.
In addition, they only partner with sustainable manufacturers and use recyclable (but still very attractive!) packaging, ensuring that every watch’s journey is 100% eco-friendly – from the moment a design is realised, all the way up until the finished accessory arrives on your doorstep.
Every single piece of ChloBo jewellery is handcrafted right here in the UK, using only the highest quality materials.
As well as offering unique, lovingly crafted pieces that will surely appeal to any boho girl, handmade jewellery also has a number of environmental benefits:
- Small-scale production that doesn't use machines means less waste and lower energy consumption
- Small businesses who hand-make their products often have a smaller carbon footprint than larger companies
- A more conscientious and loving design process means that there is less likely to be waste due to errors or excess production
Furthermore, all ChloBo jewellery features a high quality base of 925 sterling silver. This silver must be tested and approved by AnchorCert Protect, which screens for 17 allergens that could mar the quality of the metal and potentially cause adverse skin reactions when worn.
The result is beautiful, long-lasting jewellery that that is 100% safe to wear, even for those who usually have negative reactions to silver jewellery.
Swarovski themselves have phrased it best: “We prefer to think in generations rather than quarters.”
Swarovski’s innovation reaches beyond their signature crystals. As part of their longstanding commitment to both environmental and social causes, they have become pioneers in green technology, and established themselves as firm supporters of women’s empowerment, fair partnerships and conscious design.
Key figures from their 2019 Sustainability Report include the following:
- 35% of energy came from renewable sources at manufacturing and production locations
- 29% reduction in total energy consumption since 2010 at manufacturing and production locations
- 76% of their total water demand in 2018 was met using recycled water across manufacturing and production locations
- 100% of crystals are produced using their pioneering lead-free formula
- Since its conception in 2015, their Conscious Design Program has provided designers with more than 6 million upcycled crystals (those which would otherwise go to waste due to imperfections or prior use)
- 100% of the gold in their fine jewellery collection is responsibly sourced (either Fairtrade or recycled)
- 40% of Senior Managers at Swarovski are women
And they strive to improve upon these figures year-on-year, with the goal of increasing their positive contribution to the Swarovski business, supply chain and society as a whole.
Thomas Sabo has established long-term relationships with suppliers and manufacturers – some of which they have been working with for decades - and they perform regular audits to ensure that a high standards of ethics is being adhered to at every stage of the production process.
As a medium-sized company, they feel a particular responsibility towards their hometown of Lauf an der Pegnitz, Germany. Their HQ is the focal point for all creative and operating processes, and they have employed a number of green methods to make the building as environmentally-friendly as possible, for example:
- Eco-friendly construction materials (such as certified and recycled wood)
- Heating via geothermal energy
- A rainwater treatment facility which allows the collection and recycling of rainwater
They have also clarified that their aim moving forward is to structure all new and existing processes to reflect a more sustainable attitude: "Within the realms of possibility, we would like to approach our further expansion with a high degree of responsibility vis-à-vis customers and partners, society and the environment." – Thomas Sabo, company founder
As we continue to grow, our impact on the environment also increases. As well as shipping more and more orders further afield with sustainable jewellery, we are also sourcing more jewellery from overseas brands such as Nomination Italy, with the goal of bringing you the high-quality jewellery you want at the most competitive prices.
On a day-to-day basis, we continue to uphold a paperless policy for all communications, and we also use the least packaging possible in order to reduce waste. As a team, we are always conscious of doing our bit to save energy during the workday.